(All images by Cory Seamer; the ruins of Tintic Standard Reduction Mill)
The ruins of the Tintic Standard Reduction Mill are arguably far more impressive than the short-lived refinery itself. Situated on the west slope of Warm Springs Mountain, due east of the tiny town of Goshen, Utah, Tintic Mill was built in 1920 and operated for just four years between 1921 and 1925.
Also known as Harold Mill, the ill-fated industrial facility processed metals including gold, silver, copper and lead, during its brief operating life. The raw materials were hauled in from another mill at Eureka, Utah.
But the reducing process, which used an acid-brine chloridizing and leaching process, had become outdated almost as soon as the refinery began to operate, and it wasn’t long before Tintic Mill was shut down.
After a few short years, processing 200 tons of ore annually, the Tintic Standard Reduction Mill was abandoned for good. As Rurex photographer Cory Seamer noted on his Flickr page: “The technology employed at the plant was obsolete almost as soon as the plant opened, so it closed shortly after in 1925.”
Tintic Mill (built by W. C. Madge) may have only operated for less than five years, but in the decades since, its striking industrial ruins have come to dominate the surrounding Utah landscape.
Today, the defunct water and leaching tanks, drain and iron boxes, roasters and crushers of the abandoned refinery make for a striking landmark on the barren hillside. It’s also been suggested that the facility may have contributed to heavy metal pollution in the nearby Goshen Warm Springs.
Despite only operating for a brief period, the Tintic Standard Reduction Mill has a historic claim to fame as the only US refinery to use the Augustin process of extracting silver during the 1920s. For that reason, the ruins were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, which lists the privately owned site as “Vacant/Not In Use”.
(All images by Cory Seamer. Tintic Mill: one of Utah’s ruined industrial landmarks)