Located on Chapel Hill to the east of Tintern Abbey in Monmouthshire, Wales, the ruined church of St Mary the Virgin, complete with ivy-clad tower and overgrown graveyard, is a mysterious and historic relic on the rural landscape. Dating to the medieval period, the church was restored by John Prichard in 1868 only to be gutted by fire in 1977.
Today, the abandoned church – unlike some derelict structures – offers a pleasant and engaging reminder of previous times while providing a point of interest for walkers and an ideal habitat for wildlife.
The external walls and tower of the St Mary the Virgin remain standing, although the roof has long since collapsed. Half hidden amid the undergrowth, the churchyard is maintained by local volunteers while long grass gently protects the ageing gravestones.