(Image: Ross; the ruined Old Church of Dunlewy)
Consecrated on September 1, 1853, the abandoned “Old Church of Dunlewy” is a striking landmark in rural Donegal, Ireland. Overlooking the Poisoned Glen at the foot of Errigal, the enigmatic ruin, built from locally-quarried white marble, was once part of the Dunlewy Estate and stands above a solitary gravestone in the adjacent churchyard.
The decline of the Dunlewy Estate brought about the church’s closure, and by 1955 the roof had been removed for safety reasons. Proud of their church, the local community have been actively engaged in the building’s preservation since 1987, ensuring its survival for the benefit of future generations. Some also say that few will go near the so-called Old Church of Dunlewy, believing it to be haunted.