Abandoned Tyrone House, County Galway, Ireland

(Image: Mike Searle, cc-sa-3.0)

One of several impressive abandoned mansions in County Galway, Ireland, Tyrone House has a dark history. Built in 1779, the house was used by the Black and Tans during the Irish War of Independence before being destroyed by the IRA. Situated in a commanding position overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Tyrone House was originally owned by Christopher St. George and was acquired by the Georgian Society in 1972.

Click here to return to the main article, or keep browsing below.

email
Pin It
Keep Browsing
 
 
 
 
 
 

Featured Articles

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Featured Category