Located in Shipley, West Yorkshire, the Glenroyal opened on September 5, 1932 with a screening of Emma – the latest American comedy/drama of the day – introduced by a live jazz band. The cinema, which could seat 1,200 people, featured the latest innovations, including state of the art sound and projection technology.
But as time marched on, the Glenroyal steadily became outdated and eventually closed in 1962. Its doors re-opened the following year as a casino, before ultimately becoming a Kings Bingo venue. An unflattering false ceiling was installed during this period, which left patrons – and thankfully vandals – with little idea of the grand Art Deco fixtures that remained untouched in the higher reaches of the building.
In the gloom beyond the false ceiling, the long-disused upper circle remains frozen in time, virtually untouched since the Glenroyal Cinema’s last screening half a century ago. The plush “lovers’ seats” (above), upholstered by Trinity Chair Works of Scarborough, have quietly collected dust ever since, while the original paintwork peels from the walls.
Incredibly, the American Kalee projectors remain extant and intact, while old film reels sit beneath decades of dust. Could they be the last films ever shown here – “The Loudest Whisper“, starring Audrey Hepburn, Shirley Maclaine and James Garner, and “Gun Street“, starring James Brown, Jean Willes and John Clarke? And what abandoned cinema tale would be the same without a good ghost story? Rumours abound of a ghostly woman seen hurrying to the front of the auditorium where the screen once was…
To find out more, check out phill.d’s write-up and pictures of the Glenroyal Cinema. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out Detroit’s former Michigan Theater – now a parking garage, and these incredible abandoned theatres and movie palaces.